Saturday, November 12, 2011

Healthy, Inexpensive foods

Protein
  • Eggs
  • Lentils
  • Beans
  • Cheese
  • Milk
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Canned Fish (tuna, sardines, etc)
  • Frozen edamame
  • Whole roast chicken (use the leftovers wisely, boil the carcass into broth to use in soups)
  • Peanut butter (use sparingly)
Treat meat as a part of the meal, rather than the main attraction.
Grains
  • Rice
  • Pasta (I should buy the whole grain varieties, but am not so good about that)
  • Oatmeal
  • Popcorn kernels (I make my popcorn in a saucepan with a little olive oil, then just season it with salt)
  • wild rice
I don't eat bread very often anyway (generally too lazy to put together a sandwich, and I'm not hugely fond of toast), so I usually make my own. Occasionally I'll make soft pretzels too. That takes about an hour of time (and my full attention isn't even needed for all of that), and I end up with enough pretzels to last about a week (just store them in a giant ziplock bag in my cupboard)
Veg
  • Frozen veg (I like to snack on little bowlfuls of frozen peas, corn, and lima beans during the hot summer)
  • Potatoes
  • Dark Leafy Greens (good in herby stews, or just sauteed w/ garlic in a little olive oil and then seasoned w/ salt, pepper, and maybe turmeric. Add a can of black beans to that, and you have dinner)
  • Cabbage
  • Cauliflower (it's not boring if you season it well)
  • Garlic
  • Peppers
  • Onions
  • Broccoli (I need to find more things to do with this)
  • Radishes (good to snack on)
  • Carrots (not baby ones)
  • Turnips, Beets, etc. (I need to get better about eating these)
  • Canned tomatoes (make for a good base to soups and stews)
  • Celery
Other vegetables are inexpensive too, when bought in season.

Fruit
  • Oranges
  • Apples
  • Grapes
  • Bananas
Those are the ones that are inexpensive all year round. You can get a lot more variety by buying things in season, and paying attention to sales. I snack on fresh fruit, and occasionally bake it into desserts. Frozen berries are great snacks in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...