Friday, December 9, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011 part 1.

My roommates and I cooked a Thanksgiving meal together, a week late. Well, Shan and I actually did the cooking. B cleaned and decorated the house (since Shan's family joined us for dinner), and H dissapeared into his room all day. I was in charge of the turkey, gravy, rolls, desserts, and cranberry sauce. Shan did everything else.

The marathon cooking was actually kind of fun. Shan and B went to the store for supplies around 9:00 in the morning, and I started my stuff while they were out. First I did a couple of loads of dishes and cleaned the kitchen. It's so much easier to get things done when you have a clean kitchen!

Once the kitchen was clean, I made dough for the rolls (a riff on my standard bread recipe). While the dough was rising I threw together a couple of german apple cakes and stuck those in the oven. Then I made pumpkin pie filling and rolled out a pie crust that I had chilling in the fridge (I'd made it about a week prior, and kept it in the freezer until the night before it was needed). The pie went into the oven as soon as the cakes were out. Then it was time to shape the rolls. I just put balls of dough into greased muffin tins, to keep things fairly consistent in size and shape. Then I brushed on some extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled the rolls with a little kosher salt and let them have their second rise. The bread went into the oven as soon as the pie was out.

Shan and B arrived home right when the pie was going into the oven. Shan made us all drinks, and B started cleaning without being asked. I did give him decorating duties though. I had too much else going on to worry about that. H came down at some point and took out the trash, I was washing dishes at the time. That's one thing about Thanksgiving. One way or another, it involves dishes. My kitchen is a somewhat haphazardly thrown together space. There are a limited number of pots and pans, and a limited number of utensils. One cutting board, and two "good" knives.

I had a couple of free hours once the rolls were out of the oven. Dinner wasn't served until 6:30, so I had some time before the turkey needed to be in the oven. I spent the time reading up on cooking turkey, doing dishes, and attempting (mostly unsuccessfully) to be of some help to Shan. She was working on the side dishes (stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, 2 kinds of green beans). Then I prepped the turkey and got that into the oven.

Overall, the dinner was a success. The guests seemed to enjoy themselves, and we did too. Nothing was very stressful, and everything turned out well. No major catastrophes. Though the kitchen did fill up with blackish smoke, twice (I put too much filling in the pumpkin pie, and it dripped to the bottom of the oven and burned. And some squash fell onto one of the burners on the stove). And B had to go back to the store to get sage.

One way or another, I'm cooking for Thanksgiving from now on. How was your holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...